Friday 13 July 2012

Something Else for the Weekend

My best laid plans for blogging this week seem to have all ganged aft agley. It's been the penultimate week of term and so I've been putting reports to bed and eating glorious Indian food. More on that anon. As my compatriot the former governor of California used to say, 'I'll be back'. In the meantime, to tide us all over, here's some more Bohemian Hackney mdf art to feast your eyes on. This little piece resides on Clapton passage and I just can't decide, but I think it's probably beautifully interacting with its environment. There are implications though that the subjects are trapped in their own depiction, non? It is covering up a house under construction in a dank area behind a shop and near a dumpster, if that aids interpretation.



When does street art become less edgy and more trendy? It could be when graffiti artists get commissioned, but I still think there are probably immense benefits to publicly funding a street artist and then celebrating his work, as happened last month with American artist Frank Shephard Fairey. Read about it here

American street artist Frank Shepard Fairey
Photo: Teri Pengilley, Copyright The Guardian

I've also started a new page on this blog entitled other writing and hopefully will be writing more frequently for sites like The Hackney Hive and other assorted publications, so I guess, quite literally, watch this space. In the meantime, here is the review I did of Sheba on Brick Lane for Hackney Hive. I have to admit, I was surprised. These days, the Asian end of Brick Lane can seem a little tired, so I was glad to find a delightful pearl among the... other places around the area. 

Enjoy your weekend, wherever you are. Many thanks for reading. 

No comments: