Thursday 7 June 2012

Divine Revelation Under The Arches: Coffee Is My Cup Of Tea


Last Monday was Shavuot, the Jewish festival celebrating the bestowal of the Torah on God's chosen people. I work at a Jewish school and the school was closed for the day. As a gentile and not one of God's chosen, I had the day free to enjoy the rare appearance of the London sun shining down and bestowing its blessed warmth on all God's creatures. 
My wife and I, footloose and child-free for the day, aimed to lunch at The Happy Kitchen, which we'd heard so much about but had always found difficult to locate. As it happened, last Monday was no different for us. We searched and searched the arches around that little paved tributary of London Fields letting out all the sun worshippers on these rare, bright days and found The Happy Kitchen bakery, which by all accounts is still doing lovely gluten-free cookies and cakes and ended up lunching at E5 Bakehouse, sitting amidst the buzzing atmosphere full of bright young self-made stylistas of Hackney, enjoying an unusually delectable chilled pear and pea soup.

However, the real epiphany came after lunch when we decided to head to somewhere else for iced coffees. A couple doors down, where The Happy Kitchen used to be, we found Coffee is My Cup of Tea, where we were promptly served deeply luxurious iced coffees that cooled us as we sat outside and sipped in the afternoon sun. The inside was bright, airy and full of clean bright whites with welcoming, railway arch industrial chic about. Sadly, I cannot speak for the menu, except to say it was full of organic classic looking Spanish-leaning savouries and richly tempting cakes and muffins that I am looking forward to trying on my next visit. But if you are ever in need of some divinely inspired iced coffees on a warm day in Hackney, Coffee is My Cup of Tea does not disappoint. 










No comments: